Welcome to the Michigan State Exchange

Connect and work with athletes from
Michigan State University
Register Now

What is the Michigan State Exchange?

The Michigan State Exchange is a student-athlete NIL business registry, custom-designed for businesses, donors, alumni, and any other interested NIL parties wishing to connect with student-athletes. Registered businesses can search, filter and initiate conversations with student-athletes to discuss an NIL deal. Once the NIL deal between a registered business and a student-athlete is completed, the business will use the Michigan State Exchange to create a transaction that will produce a direct payment to the student-athlete (without any transaction fee) and automate a disclosure to the INFLCR Verified Compliance Ledger. The institution does not have to get involved in the deal and all transactions within the local exchange are consolidated into one 1099 at the end of the year for easier tax reporting purposes for registered businesses and athletes.


What is Name, Image & Likeness?

As of July 1, 2021, student-athletes competing in NCAA intercollegiate athletics are permitted to receive compensation for the use of their name, image or likeness (NIL) for commercial activities, including endorsements through traditional and social media, appearances, entrepreneurial activities, in-kind deals, autographs and more, in accordance with NCAA guidelines and Michigan State NIL protocols.  

Does the state of Michigan have an NIL Policy?

Yes. The state of Michigan law will go into effect on Dec. 31, 2022.     

Can a University employee or coach help arrange a deal for an athlete?

No. University employees, including coaches and members of the athletics department, CANNOT negotiate deals or contracts. However, they can direct student-athletes to NIL related opportunities on the Michigan State Local Exchange.   

Does the school or INFLCR take any revenue from NIL transactions in the Local Exchange?


Do you have to be an official university licensee to register?

No, but businesses will not be permitted to use university marks without obtaining a license through Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC). To apply for a license, click here.    

Additional Resources

NIL Policy Link 

NIL Program Link

Licensing Link 

Michigan House Bill 5217